Biddulph Primary Care Centre, Wharf Road, Biddulph, Staffordshire, ST8 6AG

Online: Contact Us Online
Telephone: 0300 404 2987 ( Out of hours: 111 )

National Health Service Logo

Fit for Work & Sickness Certificates

Fit for Work

Supporting and working with you to help you stay in or return to work

Staying in work if you feel unwell or returning to work after a long period of absence can be daunting. 

Fit for work is free, confidential and run by health professionals who will support you to stay in or return to work.

Speak to your GP about being referred to Fit for Work, or find out more by visiting the website or calling the advice line, both below.

Telephone: 0800 032 6235


(all information above is from

Top of Page

Sickness Certificates

You do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

Evidence that you are sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called a 'Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Obtaining a 'Fit for Work' Note

If you are off work owing to sickness for up to seven consecutive calendar days, you need to complete an Employee’s statement of sickness (SC2) form. If you are self employed, you may collect an (SC1) form from the surgery. If you are off work for less than seven calendar days you do not require a doctor’s certificate. Any absence for more than seven days, including weekends and bank holidays, requires a 'Fit for Work' certificate, available from your doctor free of charge.

If your employers require a certificate for a period of less than the statutory seven days, the doctor is not obliged to issue any certificate but may issue a private certificate for which there is a fee (current charges are available from reception).